CSC Essay2

Disclaimer: Someone at IBM wrote an email and asked me to post this for the benefit of those who are applying for Corporate Services Corp next year. This post in not meant to bore you or give any funda. Its just my way of giving back to my team at IBM. I had written this long essay, however at the time of submission I realized that the word limit was in Characters and NOT words. Nevertheless, having written the essay, I thought that it would be a good idea to publish it here! Content Copyright- Anil Kumar


If selected, how will you connect what you learn to your current and future roles at IBM?Please highlight connections you expect to make to IBM's business priorities and your development as a leader.

Today the challenges we face in businesses are far more complex than what is taught in colleges or schools. The changing dynamics of business world makes innovation and continuous improvement the key to success. Companies that invest in building key capabilities by investing in human capital development will emerge as leaders in the coming decades. To build a new generation of leaders to lead in the Smarter Planet requires smart people armed with smart tools and techniques and who have challenging leadership experiences. IBM Corporate Services Corp initiative is perhaps the most innovative and smart moves that any company can make. It reflects the commitment of IBM to building business ready and capable leaders for the challenges in emerging and high growth economies of tomorrow. IBM needs leaders who can think innovatively in the emerging markets, collaborate with global teams and identify with the problems of the people in these countries. Problem solving cannot be effective if the leader is far removed from the challenges and realities of the place or society.

Through my participation in the Corporate Services Corp initiative, I intend to become a creative problem solver who has passion for business, who can take ownership and work in collaboration in a cross cultural team. I want to enhance my adaptability to challenging environments. I want to make my communication more effective, improve my client focus and have passion to identify business opportunities and mitigate risks so that I can generate more business for IBM, there by adding more value to the company and its shareholders.

My work at IBM involves SAP Technical Consulting for Consumer Products companies. Through my participation in the Corporate Services Corp initiative I will develop my core competence in IBM’s Foundational Competencies. This will enable me to be a more creative and passionate Consultant. Through my interaction with people from different countries, I want to further improve my cultural sensitivity so that I can be more comfortable working with clients from different backgrounds and cultures. The hands on leadership experience will give me the confidence and risk appetite to lead individuals so that I can give them the creative space they need for collaboration and innovation.

In future when I take up leadership roles I would be in a better position to connect the learning that I would get from Corporate Services Corp to the challenges in business. The Corporate Services Corp initiative will improve my people as well as listening skills, thus making me an effective leader in the future. The Corporate Services Corp initiative will make me an innovative thinker as innovation would be the key for success in emerging economies. Having been born and brought up in India, I will be able to better relate to the challenges and problems marring the developing world. I will bring a unique perspective to my team by sharing my experiences in India. Many of the problems in the developing world have a common framework. We can apply the learning from India to some of the problems that I would be working with my team in the developing world. The experience at the Corporate Services Corp initiative will help me in becoming more aligned with IBM’s Smarter Planet business model. The Corporate Services Corp initiative will prepare me for the challenges by giving real life learning and networking opportunity with future leaders of the Smarter Planet. It will give me the right challenges and growth opportunities that I am seeking at IBM.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anand Ashram- Joy and Happiness

Should you join IIM Indore?

The Sickle and the Prey..